Spent the previous and current week building an OPC-UA wrapper on top of APIs.
My customer was having a client who was not familiar with the API calls but understands the OPC – UA well so we created an OPC-UA wrapper so that the end client could call API and pass arguments through the OPC – UA client.
On top of it we added access control on APIs. Overall interesting project and looking forward to working on OPC-UA projects.
This is our third project around OPC-UA in the last six months.
About OPC – UA:
- Focus on communicating with industrial equipment and systems for data collection and control
- Open – freely available and implementable under GPL 2.0 license 
- Cross-platform – not tied to one operating system or programming language
- Service-oriented architecture (SOA)
- Inherent complexity – the specification consists of 1250 pages in 14 documents
- Robust security
- Integral information model, which is the foundation of the infrastructure necessary for information integration. Where vendors and organizations can model their complex data into an OPC UA namespace to take advantage of the rich service-oriented architecture of OPC UA.
- There are over 35 collaborations with the OPC Foundation currently. Key industries include pharmaceutical, oil and gas, building automation, industrial robotics, security, manufacturing, and process control.
More Details on: